The online market place is gaining momentum as internet penetration and stability increase across the world more so in Africa where technology uptake is deficient. About 40 percent of all Africans were online last month, but usage varies from country to country. In Kenya it was 83 percent; in South Africa, 56 percent; and in Nigeria, 60 percent. However, Nigeria is so much bigger in population than any other African country, its citizens comprised about 20 percent of all African internet users.
Though Africa is behind only Asia and Europe in the absolute number of internet users, it lags behind every other region in the proportion of internet users. June internet users comprised 52 percent of Asians, 87 percent of Europeans, and 89 percent of North Americans.
Additionally, cfr.org says that Internet penetration is likely to grow at a faster rate than elsewhere in the world, and the fact that there are already more than half a billion internet users in Africa raises the possibility of a greater number of profound social, political, and economic changes. Internet usage may be a sign that the African is a rising giant.
“Internet access is essential for businesses, public institutions, and households to flourish in the modern economy. In the private and public sectors, internet access can help spur productivity gains and deliver services more efficiently. For households, internet access can increase opportunities, build human capital, connect households to other parts of the country, and contribute to personal well-being”. World bank
Online advertising, also known as online marketing, Internet advertising, digital advertising or web advertising, is a form of marketing and advertising which uses the Internet to deliver promotional marketing messages to consumers. Among the top delivery channels available for goods and services marketing include; Google, Facebook, Twitter, Linked-in, Instagram, Truecaller among others.
To get your business online, accounts are created for various channels to enable content distribution and sponsorship. Customer targeting is enhanced through sponsored content, influencers, viral content, reviews and search engine optimization. A great way to remain relevant and stay up to date on all marketing trends is to keep an eye on marketing statistics. Whether you’re focused on SEO, content marketing, social media, video marketing, email marketing, lead generation, advertising, marketing technology, or sales.
Online Facebook statistics for instance;
- Globally, there are over 2.38 billion monthly active users on Facebook. (Facebook, 2019)
- Of the 2.1 billion total Facebook accounts, 270 million profiles are fake. (Mashable, 2017)
- Mobile advertising revenue is reported according to Facebook to represent approximately 93 percent of advertising revenue for Q1 2019. (Sprout Social, 2016)
- Among Facebook users, 83% are women and 75% are men. (Sprout Social, 2016)
- Facebook is used by about 50% of American teens, but it no longer dominates the teen social media landscape as it once did. (Pew Research Center, 2019) India has the most Facebook users out of any other country in the world. (Statitsa, 2018)
- 74% of people say they use Facebook for professional purposes. (HubSpot, 2017)
- Facebook is the second most-used platform globally, followed by YouTube. (Pew Research Center, 2019)
- Around 43% of US adults get news from Facebook. (Pew Research Center, 2018)
- 1.56 billion active users log onto Facebook every day. (Zephoria, 2019)
In content strategy statistics;
- 32% of marketers say visual images are the most important form of content for their businesses. (HubSpot, 2018)
- Content marketing gets three times more leads than paid search advertising. (Content Marketing Institute, 2017)
- 51% of B2B marketers prioritize creating visual assets as part of their content marketing strategy. (HubSpot, 2019)
- 45% of B2C marketers believe visual content is their most important type of content. (Content Marketing Institute, 2017)
- LinkedIn is the most effective social media platform for delivering content and securing audience engagement. (LinkedIn, 2017)
- 47% of buyers viewed 3-5 pieces of content before engaging with a sales rep. (Demand Gen Report, 2016) (Source: https://www.hubspot.com/marketing-statistics)
With the above information, online advertising becomes possible, easy and achievable through self-effort or agency efforts. To pursue online advertising goals independently, ensure that you have a website or social media presence, content, budget for paid ads and at least basic digital marketing skills. Mostly, its recommended engaging a digital consultant who will carry on the marketing business while the customer engages in other business aspects.
Designhub ltd is a key partner towards fostering your online presence. We offer business digital support to develop websites, social- media,content and content optimization among other areas of online advertising. We ensure that progressively, all engagements are gaining grounds towards the desired results.
Consult with us for enhanced online advertising support.